Elderflower Fritters Recipe with Elderflower Syrup



(repost from July 2019, because I ate my first fritter today ;) 
Now is the perfect time to make elderflower fritters, when the blooms are still full and white with blossoms. Already blooms are dropping to make way for the ripening berries. Why make these fritters? Because they are so delicious! Imagine a funnel cake that has a sweet tasting flower inside. Tempting, right? Last year was hot and dry, and a hard year for plants. I didn't pick any of the flowers so that I would have berries for jelly. This spring was one bountiful in rain and so the flowers are everywhere! I don't feel a bit guilty about picking them to eat.
You can find elderflowers blooming in fields and fence rows right now. They are native plants and well suited to wild situations. I love to make elderflower syrup, or cordial. And when the berries ripen my whole family loves elderberry syrup and jellies. Both elderberries and elderflowers can be made into teas and tonics that are scientifically prove to help lessen the symptoms of the flu.
For your fritters you will need 6-8 bloom heads with a long stem left on them. I like them about the size of my palm, otherwise they make a cake too big for a skillet! Most bloom heads are larger than that, some the size of a basketball. I broke some of the heads apart at the base stems to get smaller, more manageable flower clusters. 

This recipe is based on a Victoria magazine recipe that I shared with you Here. I changed the recipe to my liking, namely replacing oil with butter, and water for milk. For the batter you will need only a handful of ingredients you see above.

Elderflower Fritter Batter
1 cup flour
1 pinch salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup milk
1 egg white, beaten to stiff peaks
vegetable oil

Pour about an inch of oil into a 12 inch skillet and heat over high till shimmering. In the meantime make the batter. Do this in a low dish with sides so you can dip the flowers. Start by combining the first 5 ingredients to make a thick batter. Then fold in the beaten egg white.
The batter is thick and I sit the flowers on it and then gently press them into it, scooping batter up over the backs if necessary.
You can see that the batter just clings to the flower head.
And I use the long stem to place it into the oil, where it spreads out flat. 
Cook until the underside is the golden brown of a funnel cake. Now is when I snip off the long stem close to the cake. Since the batter has crusted into a cake on the bottom, it will hold all the smaller individual pieces of bloom together. Snip the stems and then flip the fritter, cooking it golden. Place on a rack over a rimmed cookie sheet to drain while you cook the others.
I told you that I love to make elderflower syrup, or cordial. I used this on my fritters along with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Heavenly!! But I have sprinkled them with powered sugar like a funnel cake and it was delicious. I am certain that honey or maple syrup would also make a delightful drizzle. And, of course, ice cream or whipped cream make a perfect topping!
What does it taste like? It has the crunch on the outside and then soft inside of a funnel cake. But instead of being doughy textured on the inside there is the tender flower, which makes the fritter lighter and less cloying than a funnel cake. There is a slightly sweet taste, but it is not overly floral. And with the elderflower syrup it is perfect! If you are interested in making your own elderflower syrup please see HERE . If you like the sound of elderberry jelly (my favorite!) see HERE. For a lemony-elderflower drink, see the recipe for elderflower cordial HERE I hope that you will try this dessert at least once. It is easy, unusual, and most of all- delicious!

Comments

  1. I've been watching the blooms fade. I hope I can successfully make some syrup later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely! If you need any help, I can bring over my steam juicer. It makes things so easy :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts