Vintage Look: Vintage Skirt From Men's Ties

 
Isn't this a fun skirt? I have seen skirts and quilts made from men's ties in pictures before, but not personally. Then I went into Ms. Darla's vintage resale shop- KD THREET ENTERPRISES on Main Street, Gentry, AR. I believe she has been open for more than a year, but I have just discovered her, to my joy/dismay.


Why is that? Because I cannot go in her shop without finding something I desperately need! I have gotten vintage glassware and china, an embroidered table cloth, even a few original oil paintings. Her selection of vintage jewelry and purses is out of this world! (I am going to do a whole separate post about that) Her prices are so good that I tell myself it is okay to bring home those glorious bits and bobs that I find. And when she found out how much I love to dress in vintage, she has been keeping an eye out for things for me. Isn't that the sweetest?

 Enter this 1950's skirt. She found it somewhere and saved it to show me. I know my eye were as round as golf balls when she spread this over the counter. I mean, come on, a tie skirt that looks reminiscent of a crazy quilt isn't something you see every day ;). In fact, I think if I spun around in a circle in this outfit that it might cause seizures in some people. Don't you love how the hem is made of the points of the ties?
 I paired the skirt with a modern sweater from Goodwill that blended with the red and burgundy tones in the front of the skirt. The joining of the sweater to the skirt was a bit blunt, and so I snapped on an old 80's elastic belt I used to wear in High School. But, as you can see, the back is in a whole different colorway. I could wear a navy blue, tan, or green sweater with this also! It's almost as if the lady who made it, sewed it to be "reversible".
So it's like two really vivacious skirts in one. Or you could say, shocking both coming and going! When Ms. Darla showed me the skirt, she said it was a little odd, maybe not something I'd actually want to wear. I just laughed and said, "Are you kidding me? Of course I want to wear it!" The moment my eyes fell on it, my mind was already whirling in an effort to figure out what sweater to put with it, heh heh...
 Below is a close-up of my favorite tie out of the bunch. I could have a whole dress out of this green fabric embroidered with pansies.
 So, a little crazy, but a lot fun! What do you think, Dear Reader? Would you wear a skirt made from old ties? Would you make one as a way to save special ties from a loved one? I like to think of this as a little scrapbook- an ode to a fun-loving seamstress and a lasting reminder of some special man...

p.s. I am calling this a 50's skirt, because it seems very likely to have been a thing to recycle and sew in that time period. And the seamstress opened these ties up to sew them together, so they were originally much more narrow than they look opened up. What do you think??


Comments

  1. It looks like a fairy skirt if the fabric patterns were a little lighter & more floral. Definitely a conversation piece & on you it looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me think of a gypsy skirt! Maybe a fortune teller with a fringed scarf over her head, he he! And thank you, sweet friend :)

      Delete
  2. I would wear such a beautiful skirt, if I had your magnificent figure!!!!!!!

    🍁🔥🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet lady! That is the amazing thing about most of the items this lady has found for me- they are my size! Some of them fit me, but are way too short because they were made for a petite sized lady. But still, I can't believe so much of it fits :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, Ms Sam! That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen! I love that it's "reversible", too. I definitely would have snatched it up if it were my size. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sugar! It is pretty neat, and I love thinking about whether the ties may have come from a hubby? Dad? Grandpa?

      Delete
  4. I love the skirt, what a fabulous find! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much, and I hope that you had a lovely Thanksgiving!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts