Vintage look- A Modern Twist


vintage dress
 Lots of ladies tell me that they'd love to dress vintage, but can't find the right clothing. That can be a problem, unless you are willing to purchase things from online stores. The other option is to look for retro clothing. That is just modern clothing made in a vintage style. But I can tell you, most of the prices will just break your heart. So what's a vintage loving girl to do? Well, she can go to Goodwill. The shirt, skirt, and heels (you'll see them in a moment) I'm wearing are all from there. The red sandals are ones I wore to work at the restaurant.
vintage dress
 My dear moma used to moan to me that it was all well and good for me to say that I found great retro clothes at thrift shops, she couldn't ever find clothes her size and style. Now that I have brought her several adorable dresses from Goodwill (that are now her favorites) she realizes that you just have to be patient, and thorough. Look for clothing that has vintage styling and fabrics. Go to different stores, and keep an open mind. You may be looking for a classic white shirt, but find the perfect red dress instead.


vintage dress
 This shirt has a cheery flower print, front snaps, and gathered puff sleeves. The skirt was a wonderful find. It is handmade and so elegantly sewn that I wish I could find the seamstress and shake her hand. (And ask her to show me her wizardly ways with a sewing machine.) It is very unique in that it wraps and then closes in the front, instead of the side, and has one side pocket. The fabric is a  mid-weight cotton weave that is perfect for the vintage cut.

 Here's the real Belle of the Ball... Ms. Woola.
 Here is Tater. Can you tell what she's saying? She told me she loves my Goodwill heels! ;) Just look at those polka-dot soles and embroidered flowers. Gingham shoes with a flowered shirt? If it makes you smile, why not?


 I even got my hair to do a roll for a first (successful) time. My clip-on earrings were some of my Grandma Tommy's. They are individual metal beads on rings forming what looks like a cluster of berries.
  It's not easy to get waist-length hair wound up like this, but the bandana did the trick.

 Look at those gorgeous seams!

 I have another shirt from this same brand. It seems they consistently make shirts with a vintage look. The top was $3, the skirt was $4, and the heels were $4. How's that for a thrifty retro look? I do love Goodwill!




Want to hear something wonderful? My sweet friend, Ms. Angela of Tennessee, sent me the comment and photo below. She has a heart of gold, and isn't she adorable in her retro dress? I'm so proud of her for deciding to dress in a way that makes her feel happy!



"I tried the Dottie Angel dress and made it too big...oops...but look! You have been such an inspiration for me to dress vintage...its really quite a dream come true, as I have wanted to dress vintage for years! Thank you!!!"

 Isn't that awesome? If you take a picture of yourself in a vintage or vintage-inspired outfit that you love, send it to me and I'll share it with my Dear Readers. Everyone needs a little encouragement! Please send it to mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com - I have not yet figured out how to let folks put pictures in the comment section. Now, go out there and wear something that makes you feel lovely!



Comments

  1. You look absolutely stunning.

    My mother made a skirt like that for me when I was in high school. It was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear friend! I wish I had a picture of you in something your moma made for you. Handmade clothes are so much nicer- I loved it when my moma sewed things for me! (That's a bit of a hint-hint for her if she reads this ;)

      Delete
  2. Your friend is really adorable in her retro dress. I may recommand vntage to my friend who has the similar body shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, honey, I will pass your compliment along, Ms Angie is a real sweetheart! And, yes, mention the different vintage style to your friend. It's always wonderful when you find a style that suits you :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts