Monday's Mary Oliver- Softest of Mornings

(My darling snail, Buckeye )

Softest of Mornings
by Mary Oliver

Softest of mornings, hello.
And what will you do today, I wonder, 
  to my heart?
And how much honey can a heart stand, I wonder,
 before it must break?

This is trivial, or nothing, a snail
  climbing a trellis of leaves
    and the blue trumpets of flowers.

No doubt clocks are ticking loudly 
  all over the world.
I don't hear them. The snail's pale horns
  extend and wave this way and that
as her finger-body shuffles foward, leaving
behind
  the silvery path of her slime.

Oh, softest of mornings, how shall I break this?
How shall I move away from the snail, and the 
  flowers?
How shall I go on, with my introspective and
  ambitious life?
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts