(UN) Artful Flower Arranging



My Grandma Tommy was born in 1926 into the dirt-poor conditions of Madison County, Arkansas. But she had a burning desire to better herself in any way possible. By the time I came along, she was just as comfortable making multi-course dinners for hoards of relatives on lace tablecloths and fine china as she was sanding and refinishing antique furniture. She had such manners and was so refined, that people would meet her for the first time and say to me in something like awe, "Now that is a true Southern Lady." No, people don't say things like that anymore. But they did about my grandma. And add to that, she was a master of the art of flower arrangement. 

I wrote before in There is a Garden in Every Childhood that she had gardens that were a wonderland, the like of which are only seen in magazines. She had every type of flower to pick from for a bouquet. But she also adored high quality silk flowers so that she could make massive arrangements that would last. 

When I was about thirteen, she offered to let me choose a vase, fill it with foam and then pick through her boxes and boxes of silk flowers that looked so real you wanted to sniff them. She talked about composition, texture, height, proportion, and balance. I just nodded while feverishly filling my arms with every single type and color of flower that I loved.  

She looked at my tangle and didn't say anything, just showed me how to wedge the foam and set the stems securely. I worked away industriously until I was finally satisfied. I used every single flower. I mean, that sucker was as big as a bushel basket. I thought it radiated a halo of glory it was so beautiful. Then I asked Grandma what she thought. 


She studied it for a moment and then said carefully. "It suits you. You definitely go for the over-the-top exuberance of the Victorians." Well, that made me grin like a possum. I'm still not certain it was a compliment, but it sure was tactful!

My dear Grandma has passed and I still miss her every day, never more than when my flowers are blooming. I am proud to say that I got a fair share of her gardening genes, even though I lack any of her arrangement skills. I've found that I still like all flowers, and all colors, and all together in an exuberant mishmash. 


As my flowerbeds go through the seasons my tables sport an ever-changing array of what is most beautiful at the moment. They are rarely arranged, just stuffed, all of one kind, in whatever container is handy at the moment. I really favor the old bottles that my boys have found on the farm over the years. 

But sometimes, just sometimes, I manage something that I think even Grandma would have been proud to set out.


Other than that, I'll just settle for exuberance ;) 

"Be good-natured and untidy in your exuberance." ~Mary Oliver (Flare 12)

Comments

Popular Posts