New Etsy Store!


 sweet 50's pink gingham sundress with lace overlay

I finally bit the bullet and started an Etsy store. I have had the store named and prepped for over a year, but I dreaded the actual opening. It takes soooo long to take pictures and write descriptions and then figure out how to list things with their program. There was a lot of dread...

50's atomic burst pattern with rhinestone buttons
But I have too much vintage. (Did I actually just say that?!) And I recently went to an auction at a place called Gypsy Ranch, where they emptied out wooden wardrobes of the owners' (husband and wife) clothes from late 50's-70's. It was in a massive heap on the floor with the very real possibility that if no one took it, it would go in a dumpster. To clarify, 60's and 70's are not my era of clothing. But how could I let it all be trashed?! It didn't look like much, and it needed to be rescued...

50's style polkadot dress- fun!

Dear Reader, there were 12 trash bags of clothes and shoes. And when I went into one of the buildings, I found that a buyer had taken the trunk they bought, emptied it, and left the contents to be trashed. It was Victorian era shirts, jackets, pantaloons, even a pair of pearl button kid leather heels. Really I don't understand people. So those came home with me too. Let's say the guest room is nigh impassable. Something had to be done. Etsy to the rescue!

40's stroller dress with rhinestone clasp

After only a couple of days I have already sold two dresses. I didn't even really have my hopes up with so little inventory. When I saw the sales I honestly just sat and stared. I had SOLD something! That gives me sufficient encouragement to really try. My main issue is taking pictures. These last days of winter-ness have been drattedly grim and overcast. Plus there's the fact that I have no walls in my house that are bare and uncluttered. I have a small space in the hall where I can take down a 4 x 3 foot antique print of Custer's Last Stand and take okay pictures. But only if the sun is bright enough to illuminate my little fox's den. So, great hopes for better pictures in the future. 

40's wrap dress with large apron pocket
I hope you'll pop in every so often and take a gander at what I have to offer. The plan is to also list the plethora of vintage hats, gloves, jewelry,  and shoes I have. Also the pile of original oil paintings that I can't seem to pass up, no matter how naive. And you know how I love china and tablewares. It will be a real fight to part with any, but we'll see. 

gorgeous 50's party dress, smokey blue lace over pink tafetta

So, here's to decrapifying (it's a word, 'cause I just wrote it) my guest room. It would be great to enjoy it again, and make some money to squirrel away in my mason jars. I have my set amount for my Paris trip. Any new money will begin a savings to take the whole my "pack" on a trip. It took me three years to swing Paris; it may take a lot longer for so many of us. But what a great thing to work towards, while tidying up a bit in the process ;).

40's day dress with woven collar and pocket cuffs

Come see me at my Etsy shop, MsSamWearsDresses. I don't care if you ever intend to buy a thing- isn't it so much fun to look and dream? Come and soak up some vintage style and maybe you'll find that one thing you just can't resist. Remember-


Life is short, wear the dress!

Comments

  1. I checked out your shop but of course I assumed all the dresses are your size so I just enjoyed the gorgeousness of them. And I think your photographs are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, coming from such a good photographer tha is so kind! But, no, ma'am, I have all sizes! I find vintage dresses that I love and WOULD wear, even if they're not my size. In just the tiny amount I have listed I have everything from my size to about a size 16-18 in modern measurements! Vintage clothing is not sized like today, so you have to be very careful to check the measurements. I will always have an array of sizes, styles, and eras. My deciding factor for an item is- if it's not my size and it doesn't sell, would I cut it down so I could wear it? I only buy it if the answer is yes. I don't buy things I don't love ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts