Thanksgiving Decor and a Fall Party



I don't decorate quite as much for Thanksgiving as I do for Halloween and Christmas. I have such  big family gatherings (one has 36-42 people) that I have to add several tables, gather more chairs, spread the table decorations out to make a centerpiece for each table... So I just go a bit more simplistic. The table has some lovely pumpkins on it that I got before Halloween. They will last clear through to the new year, and will either get roasted and put up for pie filling, or scooped for seeds to grow in the garden. The pheasant on the table is Rufus, a very old bird that my moma got at an auction for five dollars. The wooden candlesticks belonged to my great-great-great granny that I wrote about in Apple Granny. And she said they had been in the family long before her.


The wooden mushrooms were hand-turned by my Pop and then seated into just the right piece of dead wood. The clay mushrooms were made by me. My youngest son was a potter with wheel and kiln. He would give me his leftover clay to play with and I had so much fun! The leaves are ones I made also.

 I decided I didn't want to use the runner that I normally do, so I went to Wal-mart and got a yard and a half of burlap. I split it in half and simply laid the two pieces together to make a long strip that was the perfect length for my ten foot table. Cheap and easy.
I adore the pumpkin on this table, it is so knotty and warty. The grouse is one that my Grandma Tommy painted. The feathers in the crock are turkey and pheasant my hubby has brought home. Just a little gathering to give a harvest feel...


 There is a china cabinet on either side of the hall. I cover the glass with muslin tacked up in October. I have so many decorations for the coming holidays that I find it far too busy to have all the china visible. The curtains will come down in January when I decorate with sparkles and glitter, and all the silver and china adds to the shine.
 The little baskets hanging on the knobs are some moma gave me years ago. They are sewn of corn husks and sided with little bare cobs. I love them! And inside is an assortment of Indian Corn that the boys and I grew years ago, in blues, reds, and multi colors.


 Squeaky, gone native.


 The top of the Victrola.

 Another of Pop's wonderful mushroom creations and an enamelware platter that will be put into service at the family dinners.


On the kitchen table I added a small tableau. The vintage box of stuffing spices has never been opened. The little turkey is an old candle, and the Native American figures are a souvenir salt and pepper set from the nearby Bluff Dwellers Cave with a date of 1947 on the back. That's my Pop's birth year!
 Thanksgiving is not yet here, but I have had a Fall Party. Just a small gathering for sweets and conversation. I made homemade profiteroles, some filled with vanilla creme patisserie, the others with a cinnamon flecked whipped cream and then dipped in dark chocolate glaze. I used my tiny acorn pan for the first time this year and they came out of the molds perfectly! I made them with the spice cake batter I generally bake into a loaf. When they were cooling I brushed them liberally with a melted butter and honey glaze that soaked in and made them super moist. I was so proud- one dear little friend who is as big as a willow switch ate half a dozen :).
And, finally, a yearly gift from our dear old preacher. He makes these for us to sit by each place setting as a reminder. I want you to imagine having only those five kernels to give to your child for their meal...



Don't we all have so much to be thankful for, no matter the season?
 **************************

Count Your Blessings

(church hymn)

Johnson Oatman, Jr., pub.1897
  1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
    When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
    Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
    And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
    • Refrain:
      Count your blessings, name them one by one,
      Count your blessings, see what God has done!
      Count your blessings, name them one by one,
      *Count your many blessings, see what God has done.
      [*And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.]
  2. Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
    Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
    Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
    And you will keep singing as the days go by.
  3. When you look at others with their lands and gold,
    Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
    Count your many blessings—money cannot buy
    Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.
  4. So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
    Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
    Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
    Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

Comments

  1. Oh I love your Pop's mushroom creations. I have one of your sweet mushrooms that you made & a leaf your son made. I keep them out year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I am so tickled you still have those! And I will tell Cole, also. He got so discouraged over the lack of interest in his beautiful potter that he hasn't done it for years. Thanks for the uplift!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts