An Ice Cream Social


It was a small stack of Tiffany blue cards that inspired me to hold an ice cream social. The cards were in some of my grandmother's things and I found them intriguing. How fun to think of attending a social in the 1920's; just imagining the clothing left me smiling foolishly into the air. Something had to be done about it. I might not be able to get a group of folks to go all "Gatsby", but I could sure entice them to eat ice cream- homemade ice cream to be exact.

 For the decor I went with sherbet-y colors and the feel of a happy soda shop. 

The sweet little snails were take-home gifts meant to hold the strings on your tea bags. Cute and clever!

For one of the ice cream flavors I went with a personal favorite that I love to make- coffee with chocolate shards.

 For those who prefer fruity flavors, I made a fresh strawberry and mint leaf sorbet. I already have the recipe for this in a separate post called Swoon-worthy Strawberry Mint Sorbet. It is literally the most fresh tasting sorbet you will ever eat!

 And then I let my proverbial hair down and went a little nuts. I made a brown sugar and browned butter ice cream with a bacon brittle stirred in. You read that right!! It is a gorgeous, richly flavored cream, studded with shards of crunchy brittle encasing salty bits of bacon. I'm thinking of calling it the "Lotta B's Ice Cream" :).

I also put out sugar cones and small cups made from dark chocolate that I found at my lovely Aldi store.The wooden spoons came in packs with wooden forks that I found at Wal-mart during Easter season and was saving for the perfect time. Here it was...


You may not believe it, but the overwhelming favorite of the whole table was...(drum roll, please) the BACON BRITTLE! Even the people who had cut their eyes at me, or even laughed, came back for seconds. They were blown away by how much they enjoyed it. And I was delighted to have their taste buds prove their brains wrong. What a lovely social, albeit almost 100 years after the cards were printed. And I didn't even charge the fifteen cents admission.
My vintage dress matched the turquoise trim on the dishes- I couldn't resist!

If you would like the recipe for the Lotta B's Ice Cream, or the Coffee Chocolate, please let me know. I made them up as I went along, but I would love to write them up for you, so you could enjoy them as much as we did.

Thanks for visiting, Dear Reader!

Comments

  1. Yes! Please share the recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're interested. I'll work on it, Ms. Jenny!

      Delete
  2. I bought some of those delightful spoons too! (At a great low price of course! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike ;). I also love to peruse Dollar General and the Dollar Tree. You never know when you'll find some treasure to squirrel away for a special occasion!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts