July- Independence Day Decor



I 'bout fibbed to you, Dear Reader. I had said that I would try to show you how I decorate for different holidays, and I hadn't even shown you the 4th of July decor yet. It'll get taken down the day after tomorrow, so better late than never, right?


The beautifully faded flag above is one I found at my great-granny's when she passed, and has 48 stars. The poppies are ones that my Grandma Tommy had and make me think of the poppies the American Legion gives out. The Wedgewood pitcher was given to me by my Pop. In the dish is a pile of antiques glass Christmas beads and balls. I told you I don't buy a lot of stuff for decoration. I scavenge through what I have.
 The shelf is one I found for a dollar at a yard sale and I just walk around the house and fill it with things that are the right color. I love the red chalk box, it was my Grandpa Bill's. There are also multiple photos of family members in service from the Civil War on, including my Pop, a marine in Vietnam.

There are cheap little flags tucked in every jug and crevice, and paper lanterns at the window. I made the box at a craft party I hosted. I copied out a 1800's era photo and made a dress for her out of vintage cloth and trim. Then I photocopied a family letter written during the Civil War and affixed it behind. I added a pin from my Pop's uniform, some old buttons, one of my granny's wire hair pins, and a tiny red Bible they gave away years ago. 

I told you that Squeaky got dressed up for holidays. Here he is as Uncle Sam with a fiberfill beard.

Fluffy proudly waves the flag in a Mason's hat from the a 1970's parade. It belonged to my dear friend, Mr. Roy Bolin, who was active in our church right up until he passed at 98 years old.

The Texas javelina is living life dangerously with a lit firework in his jaws.

My Grandpa's clock has pride of place on the buffet, along with a Goodwill plate featuring all the presidents up to Kennedy and a package of PEZ made into the first 5 presidents. Yep, I love the corny-ness! Dessert napkins, straws, and flag picks are all ready to embellish our 4th of July supper tomorrow.

I'll be wearing a vintage red, white, and blue dress, and my Great-aunt Jessie's rhinestone flag pin. We'll sit on a quilt and watch the fireworks show in our small town and then come home to shoot off our own display over the field. I can't wait! Wishing you a happy and safe 4th of July-

"If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." 
2 Chronicles 7:14

 "And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing." Genesis 12:2

Comments

  1. I'm so happy you plan to do posts showing how you decorate! I especially love the stories behind the things you use. I do the same thing though my collection isn't nearly as vast as yours is.

    We'll be enjoying our supper at our son's house then watching the fireworks together at the end of his street. The trees had grown so much that last year we couldn't get a clear view of the show so we're walking down to the highway this year to watch from there. Our family & our daughter-in-law's family all come & celebrate together...a new tradition in our growing family.

    I think I'll walk through my house & see what else I can pull out for one last big 4th boom. We're having company on the 5th to celebrate so I have one more day to make things spiffy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you've liked looking at my decorations! It's something I've always loved to do. It just makes the passage of time seem to go more slowly when you stop to focus on things.

    It's wonderful you spent the holiday with your "kiddos" and the in-laws. Isn't it wonderful when you can get together with other sides of the family have have a good time? I feel so badly for the folks who don't get along with various branches of their relatives, in-laws or not. Hope your 4th was awesome and that your visitors today enjoy all the lovely work you did decorating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts