Elderflower Posset


Elderflower Posset made with Elderflower Cordial

So, I had a bit of a lapse in thought. I gave you the recipe for Elderflower Cordial, and the next logical step was to come back with the one for Elderflower Posset. That makes sense, but when have I ever claimed to be sensical? Or even sensible? Instead, I got all carried away with patriotic color schemes and party moods and left poor posset in the cold. Quite literally, in the freezer.

I know you're saying, posset-smosset, what is it? Well, if you look up posset, in medieval times it was milk curdled with wine or ale. Blech. Not my idea of appetizing either. But hold on, a posset has changed through the years. Lots of modern recipes have it cooked up similar to a custard. Others liken it to syllabub. Syllabub was basically an alcohol fortified whipped cream to serve over fruits. It was very popular during the Regency period, and yes, one that Jane Austin loved to snarf on. This Mary Berry posset is simply a flavored cream that is frozen and served with fruit.

 "His heart, which (to use your favourite comparison) was as delicate as sweet and as tender as a Whipt-syllabub, could not resist her attractions…"
Lesley Castle
Jane Austen, 1792


 My recipe came from Mary Berry of the British Baking Show, and if you have ever seen her you know that she is just beneath the Queen Mother in terms of British correctness and perfect poshness. And posh is a word that has literally come out of her mouth. I believe she was referring to a mirror glazed cake being like a posh car. Imagine that said by the most polished silver-haired lady in a crisp British accent and you'll see why I love watching the show. 

On one of the shows a man won a baking event and when asked how he felt, he declared he was "absolutely gobsmacked!" Now I have to use that word every so often. It really does give the full effect of having been completely shocked senseless. Speaking of senseless, I still haven't gotten around to our posset...

Here is the simple list of ingredients:
1/4 pint heavy cream
1/4 pint elderflower cordial (I use my homemade elderflower syrup)
cut fruit or berries for serving

You may have noticed there is no sugar in this recipe. That is where our sweet elderflower syrup comes into play, recipe HERE.  You simply whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, and then gradually whisk in the cordial until combined.

Put this in a freezer container and chill until completely frozen. Ms. Mary suggested scooping it into a food processor and blending to break up any ice crystals. I did not do this because my posset was absolutely smooth. The consistency of sorbet kind of smooth. Then she said to place it in little dessert glasses and keep for three hours or overnight in the freezer. The recipes says it serves 4, but I made tiny scoops and served 12. Use a small ice cream scoop to make really smooth and tiny little orbs. It looks lovely!

To serve these, place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to let soften slightly, then give an artful tumble of fruit. Maybe even a sprig of mint for decoration. It was very refreshing. I served it in small punch cups, each with a different antique souvenir spoon. With the mixed drinks of sparkling water with Elderflower Cordial and Rhubarb Water and the little Fudgy Button chocolate sandwich cookies I made, it could have been an Austen-ian kind of party. That makes me happy.

Now for full confession. I also made a posset with some of the Rhubarb Water. I mean, if you are posseting about you may as well posset fully. But I must say that the Rhubarb Posset was not silky. Was not like sorbet. It was ice crystal sharp even after a whirl in the processor. Why? Both are from a boiled syrup. Whatever the reason: scientific, chemical, or other (I lean toward human error), it wasn't so very nice. Stick to Elderflower Cordial for your posseting pleasure, Dear Reader, and you won't regret it. 

*But if you do use another fruit syrup and it is lovely, please tell me. I seriously need to know these things. 
elderflower posset made with elderflower cordial


  "I have drugged their possets,
That death and nature do contend about them,
Whether they live or die."
Shakespeare's  Lady Macbeth after she used the curdled alcoholic drink to knock out Duncan's guards. Posset as a means to murder...oh, dear!

Comments

Popular Posts