Monday's Mary Oliver- I Worried

 

I Worried

by Mary Oliver
 I worried a lot. Will the garden grow, will the rivers
flow in the right direction, will the earth turn
as it was taught, and if not how shall
I correct it?

Was I right, was I wrong, will I be forgiven,
can I do better?

Will I ever be able to sing, even the sparrows
can do it and I am, well,
hopeless.

Is my eyesight fading or am I just imagining it,
am I going to get rheumatism,
lockjaw, dementia?

Finally I saw that worrying had come to nothing.
And gave it up. And took my old body
and went out into the morning,
and sang.

Comments

  1. I've started reading Mary Oliver....you have me hooked! I haven't read this one before. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray, a Mary Oliver convert! I'm delighted that sharing her poems is leading other people to find her. I can't believe I've gone this long without knowing her! Now I'm trying to decide what volume of her work I'm going to ask for as a Christmas present ;)

      Delete
  2. For some reason this will only let me comment as Devin Doss, but it is I, your moma...love this poem, makes me think of me! You know me, the worrier, but I have come to realize it is for nought and will claim Mary Oliver's poem as my anthem. Recognize the picture in the fog...my little haven. Thank you for sharing Mary and I will be waiting to hear what volume you need for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devin Doss- ha! I know, this poem hits home. And I'll be pondering on that Christmas present :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts